The City Of Nelson’s recycling will be collected in blue bins (not blue bags) starting on the collection week of June 29th - other than that, the recycling program stays the same.
The bins were delivered the last two weeks of June and we included helpful Information inside the bins to assist with the transition Click here to read about the transition.
Garbage & Recycling Pickup
Garbage and recycling will be picked up between 7:00 am and 3:00 pm on your collection week.
For questions about City of Nelson garbage and recycling collection, please reach out to our Green Ambassador (250) 352-8102 or email@example.com
For more information on the BC recycling program, please call the Recycling Council of British Columbia – 1-800-667-4321 (Recycling Hotline)
For concerns or complaints about the Recycle BC program, please call: 1-855-875-3596.
- 2020 Garbage & Recycling Collection Schedule
- Residential Garbage and Recycling Pickup Map (PDF)
- Recycling Guide
What should I do with my leftover blue bags now that I can no longer use them for my recycling?
Residents who receive regular residential household garbage pickup may NOW use your leftover blue bags for your garbage. There is no limit to the number of garbage bags that can be put out for pick up, but they will require an orange garbage tag.
Proper Recycling Pick Up
To ensure your Blue Bin Recycling is picked up, please note:
- Blue Bins must not weigh more than 20 kilograms (44 pounds)
- Only permitted recycling items are allowed. To find out what you can recycle, click here to see our Recycling Guide.
- Empty and rinse all containers. Soiled containers are not accepted. Remove any caps and place loose in your bin. Squash or crush items like plastic bottles, cartons, jugs, and aluminum cans to make more room in your recycle bin.
- Flatten cardboard. Remove plastic wrap, staples and tape are okay. Save space in your bin by bundling cardboard - approximately 24” wide (61 cm) x 36” tall (91 cm), securing with string and placing beside your bin.
- Do not bag items. Place items loose in your recycling bin - plastic bags, including blue-bags, are not accepted in your recycling.
Putting garbage in blue bins and including it into the recycling stream is considered illegal dumping and is subject to a financial penalty. Nelson residents who include garbage in their blue bins will not have their blue bins picked up.