Short-Term Vacation Rentals

NEW: PST and Tourism Tax

In July 2018, the provincial government announced that as of October 1, 2018, short-term rental hosts must remit PST and the local tourism tax for guest stays. More information can be found in this notice. Some online platforms, such as Airbnb, may do this on your behalf. Please direct any questions directly to the Province using the contact information at the end of the noticed linked to above. The City of Nelson is not involved with this new taxation requirement and cannot answer questions.

Short-Term Rental Regulation Review - Amendments

City Council is currently considering amendments to the Business Licence Bylaw concerning short-term rentals. The first three readings of the amending bylaw were passed on Monday, August 13, 2018. The amending bylaw is expected to be considered for adoption on Tuesday, September 4, 2018. Those affected by the changes will have the opportunity to be heard by Council at the September 4th meeting.

You can review the amending bylaw, and the accompanying report, here (PDF). Any questions or comments can be directed to Development Services staff (contact information on the right-hand side of this page). 

Short-Term Rental Regulations

Commonly referred to as “Airbnb”, “home sharing”, or “vacation rental”, short-term rental (STR) refers to the commercial accommodation of guests in a private residence – a room, apartment, secondary suite, or house – on a temporary basis (31 days or less). The type of business licence required depends on the zoning of the property in question. You can confirm the zoning your property is subject to using the City of Nelson’s Interactive Zoning Map.

If you are operating a short-term vacation rental within a residential zone (R1, R2, R3, R4, R6, MU2, MU3, MU4, CD1, CD6) you must have a ‘short-term rental’ business licence. This licence must be renewed annually and can be obtained from City Hall at Development Services (2nd floor). Please use the following application form.

If you are operating a short-term vacation rental within a commercial zone (C1), you must have a business licence as a ‘tourist accommodation’. This licence must be renewed annually and can be obtained from City Hall customer service representatives (first floor). For a short-term rental in a commercial zone, please use the following business licence application form.

Non-compliance with zoning or the lack of a business licence can result in a fine of $500 per day.

Please consult the Complaints page regarding any STR-related complaints or issues.