Mayor Kozak, Chair of the Nelson Police Board, invites interested citizens of Nelson to apply to serve on the Nelson Police Board. This is a part-time volunteer position.
Selection of Board Members is based on merit and the criteria include:
• reside in the Municipality of Nelson
• willingness, availability and capacity to make the commitment of time and effort required to carry out police board responsibilities
• demonstrated interest in police and/or related public social services
• community, neighbourhood or business involvement in Nelson
• ability to communicate effectively with all levels within an organization
• ability to contribute to a Board representing the diversity of Nelson’s citizens
• ability to make positive contributions to the Board through personal, professional,
occupation, business, volunteer or life experience
• willingness to undergo a criminal record check and personal suitability interview
• understanding of governance boards
The City of Nelson Council appoints one member to represent the municipality to the Nelson Police Board with a maximum term of six years. The Board provides independent civilian oversight and governance of the Nelson Police Department to ensure measurable progress towards a safer community.
The Board also establishes goals as well as priorities/objectives and develops the budget for the Nelson Police Department, in consultation with the Chief Constable. The Board is also responsible for service and policy complaints related to its Department. Since selection of board members is based on merit, you should have an understanding of governance boards as well as experience in business, financial management, administration, and community development. Please note that each board
member has fundamental responsibility to assist the Board in making effective and informed decisions and to direct and support the work of the Nelson Police Department.
To express your interest in this appointment, please submit
a covering letter and resume in writing by noon on Monday June 6th, 2016, to:
City of Nelson – Administration Department
Suite 101, 310 Ward Street
Nelson, BC V1L 5S4
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax to (250) 352-2131
Please include your occupation, history of community involvement, other relevant
history/technical expertise and reasons for seeking appointment.
For further information, please visit
http://www.nelsonpolice.ca/ or (250) 352-8285