On the first weekend in May, the Nelson Police Department, in conjunction with the Nelson RCMP, Nelson Fire Rescue, Nelson Search and Rescue, and BC Ambulance held our first annual Emergency Services Camp for local high school students. The camp is based on our previous successful years of Police Camp in Nelson. This year involved students from LV Rogers Secondary, Salmo Secondary, JV Humphries Secondary in Castlegar, Mount Sentinal Secondary and Grand Forks Secondary. Our students were involved in demonstrations from the various emergency services and completed the requirements for the police physical testing along with firearms and accident investigation. It was a very busy weekend and ended with a graduation where all students received a Certificate for their participation. We would like to thank the following for their support:
- Elaine McLaren and Jean Pisacreta and their many volunteers for all the meals prepared for the students and volunteers.
- Sherry-Lynn McGregor for all her work through LV Rogers.
- Lauren Mirva, our Mt Royal University practicum student working with the Nelson Police Department.
- Western Auto Wreckers for supplying the vehicle for our accident investigation.
- Interior Health Authority for their site support.
- The Royal Canadian Legion, Nelson Rotary, the Nelson Police Association, the Regional District for the Central Kootenay, Kaslo Village Council, Castlegar City Council, Salmo Village Council, and Ravestein Construction Ltd., for their financial support.
- The Nelson and District Community Complex and their lifeguards.
- Sweetwater Embroidery for our uniforms.
- LV Rogers Secondary for allowing us to use their school facilities for the weekend.
- Rowan Weber for being our drill instructor.
- All the volunteers from the Nelson Police Department, the Nelson Police Reserves, the Nelson RCMP, the Nelson Fire Rescue, Nelson Search and Rescue and BC Ambulance who donated their time to make our Camp a success.
Finally, we would like to thank our group of students who participated in our Camp for 2014, you were an awesome group. Our Emergency Services Camp is a true example of our communities working together to create opportunities and career ideas for our youth.